Monday, August 25, 2008

today my heart breaks

i'm in the midst of weaning my precious daughter. it's been amazing to be able to nurse her for these past seven months. and though i won't be able to continue for a year or more which was my hope, i'm happy to have made it this far. it's time.

this is my current regimen: four doses of dicloxacillin a day for mastitis. five doses of acidophilus with bifidus a day to avoid getting thrush. still have thrush so i take four doses (four weeks) of diflucan. four pills of lecithin for a total of 4,800 mg a day. one prenatal a day. one vitmin c supplement a day. ketoconazole for topical treatment. and vicodin for the pain. I’ve had to cut out dairy because she has problems with it, but that’s not really much a problem for me.

i have two months supply pumped out so she’ll be able to continue on breast milk for a while after she weans. i'm pretty sure i've exhausted my resources. lol. i’ve been to my OB quite a few times, a LC twice, called the LLL and searched like crazy for a solution online. i’m always up for more ideas, and honestly i cry when i think about weaning. but i really can’t keep up with a toddler and soon to be very mobile daughter with this pain. thank you to everyone for your never ending support and encouragment! what an experience. :)

1 comment:

the daddy said...

Darcy, I'm super proud of how you've fought for this. I know better than anybody the pain you've endured and the elation in your accomplishments and the pride through your success. I'll heat the bottles and feed her so you can finally get some sleep now. Nice work, babe.